Collection of Personal Health Information
We collect personal health information about you directly from you or from the person acting on your behalf. The personal health information that we collect may include, for example, your name, date of birth, address, health history, records of your hospital visits and the care that you received during those visits. Occasionally, we collect personal health information about you from other sources if we have obtained your consent to do so or if the law permits.
Uses and Disclosures of Personal Health Information
We use and disclose your personal health information to:
• treat and care for you within the circle-of-care, which includes provincial health registries;
• receive payment for your treatment and care (from OHIP, WSIB, your private insurer or others);
• plan, administer and manage our internal operations;
• conduct risk management activities;
• compile statistics;
• comply with legal and regulatory requirements;
• fulfil other purposes permitted or required by law;
• inform visitors or callers so they can locate you in the hospital*;
• conduct quality improvement activities (such as sending patients satisfaction surveys)*;
• fundraise to improve our healthcare services and programs*; and
• inform a religious or spiritual advisor who may visit you in the hospital*.
*If you do not want information disclosed for these purposes, please tell the staff member registering you, a member of the healthcare team, or contact the Privacy Officer.
You may request to access and/or correct your personal health records, or withdraw your consent for some of the above uses and disclosures (subject to legal exceptions). For correction & withdraw requests, contact our Privacy Officer. For access requests, contact our Release of Information (ROI) Specialists:
- (905) 683-2320 ext. 11488
Bowmanville/ Port Perry/Oshawa/Whitby sites:
- (905) 576-8711 ext. 34174
Durham Region Cancer Centre:
- (905) 576-8711 ext. 34519
How to Contact Us
Contact our Privacy Officer for more information about our privacy protection practices, or to raise a concern you have with our practices at:
Privacy Officer, Lakeridge Health
1 Hospital Court, Room GB2 010
Oshawa, ON L1G 2B9
Telephone: 905-576-8711 extension 32757 or 34367
You have the right to contact the Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario if you think we have violated your rights. The Commissioner can be reached at:
Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario
2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400
Toronto, ON M4W 1A8
-We take steps to protect your personal health information from theft, loss and unauthorized access, copying, modification, use, disclosure and disposal.
-We conduct audits and complete investigations to monitor and manage our privacy compliance.
-We take steps to ensure that everyone who performs services for us protects your privacy and only uses your personal health information for the purposes you have consented to.
Lakeridge Health is committed to protecting the privacy of our patient’s health information and places the highest value on maintaining the confidentiality and security of personal health information (PHI).